...lets hope its dominoes....




"The Bloomsbury Living Wage Campaign is calling on students, lecturers, cleaners, catering staff and other university workers to demonstrate on 1st May- international workers day- and demand the London living wage for all staff at Bloomsbury colleges.

Assemble: Midday
Location: main steps, SOAS, 10 Thornhaugh St. Central London."

This is on for Friday, see my previous blog for details...

Heard today, that the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine gave in and have agreed that the contract cleaners and domestics will get the minimum london wage :=]

"Dear Friends
We handed in our petition on the London Living Wage to the Senior Management Team meeting on Monday. We have just received a response stating that:

* Management supported the School moving to the LondonLiving Wage for contract cleaning and domestic staff - subject to approval by the Planning and Finance Committee.
* Senior management will be recommending approval to the Planning and Finance Committee.
* The Director supports the increase.
* The School will be looking for a written commitment from Ocean that the increase is passed on to staff in full.

It's welcome news.

Best
Ady Cousins
(London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine UNITE rep) "
....mind you, it is going to apparently cost them all of 90,000 quid to implement, a drop in the ocean for an organisation that turns over something like 75 million, I heard today!

I joined this particular fight very recently, and had helped just a wee bit with leafletting Senate House yesterday lunchtime, and spreading the word as much as I could. There has been a lot of hard work by a good bunch of people to get this far, and its good to see a win for once :=] Lets hope that it is fully ratified by LSHTM and that we see the other Bloomsbury area colleges fall in line also!

I'm on Denise's machine right now, as my own decided to die a sudden death. I'm recovering data on it to a replacement box while I type this...so much for back ups..*cough*

Looking forward to this bank holiday weekend, though I do have a pile of study stacking up. I'm less stressed about it though, as I checked today that I don't have to do the exams quite so soon if I want to take more time to study, which is welcome news :D

I'm doing a major spring clean of my stuff too. Previously, I had used Freecycle to get rid of a lot of my clutter, but now its down to paperwork....shredding 20 years of bank statements take a heck of lot of time to do, and I do wonder why on earth I've kept them. Still, whilst going through them I've been able to get a list of the tons of places I've lived over these years, maybe I'll get it together to put it all in a timeline just for posterity...I used to keep keys from all the places I've lived too, but most of those have gone now.

Why keep all this stuff in the first place, I hear you ask....(hearing voices in my head, ooh, spooky). Well, I've always had a terrible memory, so I've hung onto stuff to remind me of alsorts. When I did my mature student bit way back when, I had to fill in forms for grants etc and they wanted to know past addresses to prove I'd lived in the grand old london borough of Hackney for the requisite amount of time. Because Id kept all these forms, letters, dole cards etc, I was able to put it all down reasonably accurately (though whether they even checked I've no idea). I'm glad I did keep some of this tat though, as I was able to upload a bunch of old gig flyers from the 80's in a facebook group which jogged a few memories from folks.

ah well...I'm babbling again, detailing the minuteria of my days, past and present. Well, ignore this waffle if you like, no worries, but if you should feel like it, do join me on Friday for what hopefully will be a decent show of strength and commitment to improve things for a bunch of folks who often get no consideration at all.

ta ra for now :D

No comments:

Search This Blog